1. Green Lantern—Geoff Johns has weaved a complex and compelling tale. This is one of the best examples of the potential inherent in the superhero genre.
2. Planet of the Apes—Daryl Gregory and Carlos Magno have constructed a mythos that truly elevates the Planet of the Apes storyline. Regrettably this series ended last month.
3. The Massive—Brian Wood’s latest masterpiece about a “post-crash” environmental activist group is masterful.
4. Iron Man—Matt Fraction has brought a level of complexity and tension to the Iron Man mythos that was much needed. These are the best Iron Man stories that I’ve read since I began reading the character consistently in 1990.
5. Legion of Super-Heroes—The Legion of Superheroes overcomes a lot of the dramatic and creative inhibitions in some of the DC’s relaunched series with a sense of history, clarity, continuity, and good characterizations. I had a feeling prior to the New 52 that I’d like this series based on some old LOSH that I read way back in the 80s, and I was right. This book has been quite enjoyable.